Monday, 23 November 2015

Update 3- Plastering the Lounge

Finishing off the new lounge took a while-probably done over two weeks all up

The plasterer had been and tidied up the brickwork.

Julie and I then spent the best part of a weekend stripping back 3-4 layers of wallpaper, a real bitch of a job.

 Once done it was ready for the plaster, who just happened to have started playing for my cricket team the week before.

Matt the plasterer has been and done the first coats.

We now have two entrances to the room. Some bright spark in the past has painted over the beautiful old stained doors with a horrible duck egg green paint. That door will be closed up and we'll put a bookshelf in front of it- less hassle than removing it.

The sunroom also required a bit of plastering.

With the final skim coat done it was rtime last Friday to get to work painting the lounge.

And the finished product with the new carpets. Much lighter and brighter.


Sunday, 22 November 2015

Update 2- Removing a wall

Rhe property has abit of a weird layout in that the lounge is at the eastern end of the house so gets morning sun but no afternoon sun, the main beroom on the north side so it gets the sun during the day and the dining/kitchen is on the soth side so is uite dark but does get some late afternoon sun fro the west.

So my plan was to remove the wall between the bedroom and dining room and convert the bedroom into a more one plan dining/lounge and kitchen and us the old lounge as the new main bedroom, which would make for quite a a large bedroom but a more sensible use of the space over all.

However, unlike most houses in NZ this one has internal walls as well as external walls made of brick. I've never encountered anything like it really.

The bedroom

The wallpaper needs a bit of work.

In one corner is a large built in wardrobe.

On the other side of the all is the dining room. It is quite dark.

And the kitchen.

First thing to do was get rid of the old wardrobe.

 One Sunday I got bored and wanted to see how much light removing the wall would let into the dining area so made a bit of an exploratory hole.

At that point I stopped and left the rest up to the builder who had to put structural supports into the roof as it is a load bearing wall. We got it all checked out by the engineer etc and before long it looked like this:

So Labour weekend I spent the Saturday carting bricks and rubble to the local landfill. I've about 200-300 stacked up in the back yard for a future landscaping project too.

And by the end of the day it looked like this.

One thing I unearthed when lifting the old carpet was this, the original lino, quite a cool pattern.

In this photo you can clearly see where the wardrobe used to be.

The next job was to get the newly created gap plastered.

My latest project

I've been meaning to start his blog for a while now. This year I've been doing some renovations on some of my rentals so thought I'd start a bog to record it, but it hasn't quite got off the ground until now.

Over the past 5-6 weeks my wife and I have been going a major renovation on one of our rental properties.

The project has included:

  • new kitchen
  • new bathroom
  • Removing an interior wall to make an open plan dining/lounge area (formerly a bedroom and dining area.
  • Complete repaint of all rooms
  • New carpet and lino etc

This is by far the biggest project I've done on a rental (we've done kitchens or bathrooms up before, painted them etc but not done such a major renovation). The aim is to improve its value and increase the rents we can get off it. We have a tenant lined up, due to move in next weekend so this week need to get the bathroom completed and new kitchen installed this week so they can move in!

The property in question is a 1930s era brick bungalow, about 100m from where I work. We purchased it about 2 years ago.

This weekend we took most of the rubbish to the dump, have finished off painting the lounge, Julie has continued with painting windows and skirting etc.

The first thing I did was remove the old kitchen- a nineteen fifties or sixties era original.